In the Creations Quiz ESL activity, students are shown various artistic creations, and they have to write down who it was created by, and when.
By far the easiest way to do this activity is to use our interactive Trivia Quiz game. Simply select ‘Creations Quiz’ from the dropdown menu.
Otherwise, you will need to prepare pictures, audio samples or text excerpts of ten artistic works to show to the students, along with the answers. If you have a projector available, a computer slideshow can really help with this. Try and include some plural objects if possible.
In class, divide the students into small teams of two or three. Each team will need a piece of paper to write their answers on.
- Present each creation to the students. This could simply be the title, but a picture or audio sample makes the activity more engaging.
- After each creation, give the teams a minute or two to write their answer. This should be a full sentence in the target language, that states who created the work, and when it was created.
- When you have presented all the creations, the teams swap papers to check their answers.
- Review each creation in turn, eliciting possible answers and revealing the correct one. Write the full sentence on the board if necessary.
- The students correct and score the answers of the other team. One point is earned for a correct sentence (including an appropriate verb) using the target grammar, and half a point each for the creator and the date. You will almost certainly want to allow some margin for error when it comes to the spelling of names and dates!
- At the end, the students total up the scores. The team with the most points wins.
The Creations Quiz ESL activity is particularly designed for practising sentences in the past simple passive voice. For example, Smells Like Teen Spirit was sung/performed/released by Nirvana in 1991. It’s most valuable for intermediate level students who will benefit from writing out the grammar structure multiple times, but can be a fun review exercise for advanced students too.
Alternatively, you could just use the activity as a way to review the active form of the past simple with low intermediate classes. In this case answers would be of the form Nirvana sang/performed/released Smells Like Teen Spirit in 1991.
Another option is to use the Creations Quiz ESL activity in a class on the topic of entertainment. Specifically, you could tailor the questions to elicit specific creation verbs, e.g. directed, designed, painted, sculpted, composed etc.
For another fun quiz-based activity, this time to practise the present perfect simple with for and since, try the How Long Quiz (also available on our Trivia Quiz game).
For an activity in which students create their own quiz to practise forming questions, see General Knowledge Quiz.
Got a picture or video of this activity in action? How about snapping one next time you use it? We'd love to showcase your submissions- find out more here.