In the Job Adverts ESL activity, students create posters describing roles and responsibilities, wages and experience required.
Each student will need an A4 piece of paper, along with some coloured pens/pencils if possible.
- Each student will advertise one job by creating a poster. If following on from the Create A Company project, each group member advertises a different position in their company.
- On their poster, students include the following information: Job Title, Role/Responsibilities Description, Hours, Wages, Type of person they are looking for (use personality adjectives), Skills/Experience Required, Contact/Application Information.
- When finished, display the posters around the class. The students then stand up and walk around class, noting down the jobs they are interested in and think they are a good match for.
- The students feedback to the class/small groups on which jobs they want to apply for and why.
- This activity leads on well to writing a cover letter for those jobs (see Writing a CV / Cover Letter), and/or conducting interviews (see Job Interviews).
The Job Adverts ESL activity is perfect for a high beginner or low intermediate class on the topic of jobs. Students practise the names of jobs, adjectives to describe them and suitable candidates, and other related vocabulary.
Got a picture or video of this activity in action? How about snapping one next time you use it? We'd love to showcase your submissions- find out more here.