In the Alphabet Board Slap ESL Game, students slap the correct letter on the board when it (or a word beginning with that letter) is called out.
Write/project the letters of the alphabet on the board, in random positions. If you have an Internet connection and a projector, the easiest way to do this is using our online Board Slap game.
In class, divide the students into two teams. You can also play without teams and point-scoring if this is more appropriate.
- Each team sends one student to the board. These students stand a few steps away from the board, with a flyswatter. With young students, they could also just use their hands or even a ruler if you don’t have a flyswatter available.
- Call out a letter of the alphabet. Or when the students are familiar with the game, a word that begins with a certain letter.
- The two students have to slap that letter with their flyswatter as fast as they can. The student who hits the correct letter first wins a point for their team.
- Repeat for future points. If your students are able to, let the rest of the class take turns saying the letters/words for pronunciation practice.
- Every three points, switch the students playing. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins.
Got a picture or video of this activity in action? How about snapping one next time you use it? We'd love to showcase your submissions- find out more here.